Apply to 1) Examption of Primary language
2) Examption of Foreign language
3) Examption from Prerequisite subject
4) Recognition of Acquired credits
Term: 2017. 09. 04(MON) to 09. 15(FRI) 5: 30pm.
Please stop by GSIS office with the application
If you have a question, feel free to contact us
Tel: 02-2220-0288 firstname.lastname@example.org
Please refer to the bleow information:
1. Primary foreign language: Korean language
● A student must pass both Hanyang University's "Korean Language" and " Korean Language and Literature" courses. In the case where a student receives an "A" grade in BOTH "Korean Language" and "Korean Language and Literature ", further evaluation of Korean language level is not required. In the case where students fail to receive an "A" grade in both of these courses, students are expected to pass one of the following three Korean language examinations. For the TOPIK (Test Of Proficiency in Korean), level 3 or above is required. For the KLPT (Korean Language Proficiency Test), 300 points or above is required. Alternatively, passing a Korean Exam given by the Korean Studies Department is required at the same level as Level 3 of the TOPIK or KLPT, and which will be carried out once a semester, if necessary.
● If a student has taken one of the Korean proficiency tests prior to entry into GSIS, they must present their document within the first three months of attendance. The test must have been taken within the last two years for validity (i.e. a test taken more than two years prior is not accepted).
● Student who received bachelor or master degree from Universities in Korea is not required to pass any Korean Language examination or take language courses the Department of Korean Studies offers under the approval of the director of Department of Korean Studies who will judge his/her Korean language ability.
● Student who wants to be exempted from the Korean language evaluation for graduation must submit the application form for language exemption to the Office of GSIS.
● When students get exemptions from Prerequisite Subjects, Primary Foreign Language could be exempted as well.
2. Secondary language: English language proficiency test for English as a foreign language
● A student whose primary language is not English must pass one of the following English level proficiency tests:
* IBT TOEFL- 80 or above
* CBT TOEFL- 213 or above
* TOEIC- 750 or above
* TOEIC Speaking 130 or above
* TEPS- 595 or above
* ILETS- 6.5 or above
● If a student has taken one of the English proficiency tests prior to entry into GSIS and wants to be exempted from the English language evaluation for graduation, he/she must submit the application form for secondary language exemption with its document to the Office of GSIS within the first three months of attendance. The test must have been taken within the last two years for validity (i. e. a test taken more than two years prior is not accepted).
● In the case where English is a student's primary language or the official language of his/her country, Student who received bachelor or master degree from Universities in the countries where English is native or the official language he/she shall be exempt.
● In the case where a student fails to pass the required level of English proficiency test twice and presents relevant documents to the Office of GSIS, he/she can take the English course of International Language Institute of Hanyang University for students in master’s and doctoral course who fail to pass the required level of English for graduation as a substitute for English language proficiency test. He/she can resister for the course anytime from the third semester, provided that he/she has qualification to register by GSIS and the International Language Institute open the course.
3. Exemption from Prerequisite subjects:
● Students who have taken the same lectures in undergraduate or graduate courses can present The Application for Exemption of Prerequisite Subject(s) with a certificate of their record after receiving approval from the Director of the Department of Korean Studies in writing.
When students get exemptions from Primary Foreign Language, Prerequisite Subjects could be exempted as well.
4. Recognition of Acquired credits:
● Students can take just one subject from another graduate school or department for one semester if they want. In this case, they must have approval in writing from the Director of the Department of Korean Studies.
● Students can receive recognition for up to 12 credits through the approval of the Dean in the case they satisfy the following conditions:
l the acquired subjects from the domestic or abroad graduate school must be equal, or similar to, the subjects taught at GSIS
l have a GPA of 3.0 or above
l three years for the Master's course student, and five years for Ph.D. student, have not passed since the acquisition of the credits.
NOTE: Even though credit may be granted, the term of study will not reduced.